It’s not all about how straight your teeth are or how dazzling your smile is when it comes to your oral health. You must not overlook your gums! Even if you don’t have any cavities and have a flawless set of teeth, you might still suffer from serious gum disease. Most people are unaware that something is amiss with their gums because it is usually painless. Plaque builds up under and along the gum line, causing gum disease. Plaque is a bacteria-filled sticky coating that forms on the teeth. It can cause infections in the gums and bones, which can lead to gum disease and tooth decay. Gingivitis, the first stage of gum disease, is also caused by plaque. Your gums will become inflamed, sensitive, red, and prone to bleeding as a result of gingivitis. Here at Signature Smiles, we believe that any sort of dental problem can be easily avoided by adopting certain measures. Keeping this in mind, the best dentists in Encino, CA have come up with effective tips that can be helpful to avoid gum disease.
Symptoms Of Gum Disease
But, before discussing the actual topic, you should also figure out the signs of gum disease. There can be several causes of gum disease and the most challenging factor is this issue mostly goes unnoticed. Therefore, be very careful to notice the common signs of gum problems.
- a persistent unpleasant taste or odor
- permanent teeth that are splitting or are loose
- gums that bleed easily
- swollen, reddened, or painful gums
- gums that have retreated from the teeth
In case you face any symptoms of gum disease, do not delay getting in touch with a dentist immediately.
Tips To Avoid Severe Gum Problems
We do know that taking some time out of your daily routine can be difficult due to busy schedules. But, adopting the tips mentioned below can be the key to having healthy gums.
- Flossing is a must – At least once a day, floss your teeth. According to the American Dental Association, this helps eliminate plaque and food that your toothbrush can’t reach. It makes no difference when you floss. It doesn’t matter if you do it at night, in the morning, or after lunch. Just executing this task is important.
- Go for regular dental cleanings – If you visit your dentist on a regular basis, he or she will be able to spot early signs of gum disease. As a result, symptoms can be treated before they worsen. Tartar may only be removed by a professional cleaning. It can help remove any plaque that you may have missed while brushing or flossing. Brushing, flossing, and frequent dental cleanings can help you reverse gingivitis.
- It is necessary to give up smoking – Another reason for smokers to give up is that smoking is significantly linked to the development of gum disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, smoking affects your immune system, making it more difficult to fight off a gum infection. Moreover, smoking makes it more difficult for your injured gums to heal.
- Well, you should never skip brushing – After each meal, brush your teeth. This facilitates the removal of food and plaque that has become trapped between your teeth and gums. Scrub your tongue as well, as bacteria can live on it. According to our dentists, your toothbrush should have soft bristles and fit comfortably in your mouth. Consider using an electric or battery-powered toothbrush. These are more effective than manual brushing at reducing gingivitis and plaque. Brushes or toothbrush heads should be replaced every three to four months, or sooner if the bristles begin to fray.
- It is advisable to use fluoride toothpaste – When it comes to toothpaste, there is a slew of options that claim to alleviate gingivitis, freshen breath, and whiten teeth. How can you know which is the best for keeping your gums healthy? Make careful you purchase fluoride-containing toothpaste with the ADA mark of approval. After that, it’s up to you to decide on the flavor and color.
- Rinse your mouth with a mouthwash – Therapeutic mouthwashes, which are usually available over the counter, can help decrease plaque, prevent or minimize gingivitis, slow the formation of tartar, or a combination of these advantages, according to the American Dental Association. A rinse also helps eliminate food particles and debris from your mouth, however, it isn’t a replacement for flossing or brushing. Look for the ADA seal, which indicates that the product is both effective and safe.
Include these measures in your daily routine and have healthy gums. In case you are looking for the best periodontal care in Encino, CA book an appointment with us. We are here to serve you with the best dental care.
Dr. Sheila Mahooti is an experienced dentist at Signature Smiles of Encino. She has received extensive training and experience in all aspects of general and cosmetic dentistry. The dental office in Encino boasts a state-of-the-art environment and the most modern dental equipment available. The dentist, the entire team of dental professionals, and staff prioritize the patient’s concerns. If you are living around Encino and looking for top-notch dental treatment, call and schedule your appointment with the dentist, Dr. Sheila Mahooti.