What is a dental crown?
A crown is a cap that is custom made to be shaped just like your tooth. It can be used in many different cases.
Can anyone benefit a dental crown?
Every patient is different. Many patients benefit from dental crowns for various reasons.
Adults may utilize crowns for issues such as:
- A weak tooth that needs protection
- A broken or worn down tooth
- Holding a bridge in place
- Improving the look of misshapen teeth
- Covering an implant
- Supporting a tooth that has a large filling
Children can benefit from dental crowns for different reasons, such as:
- Restoring a tooth that is too damaged for a filling
- Protection for high risk of decay
What are dental crowns made of?
Crowns can be made out of different materials. Some common examples include:
- Porcelain: Porcelain crowns provide the most natural appearance of the other types. They are the most aesthetically pleasing and are compatible with the surrounding teeth. At our office, we strive to offer biocompatible dentistry options.
- E-Max: E-Max crowns are made from lithium disilicate ceramic, a material that is known to be opaque and extremely durable. E-Max crowns are extremely strong and match the rest of the teeth very well.
- Metal: Metal crowns are made entirely out of metal, and they are a great choice for durability. They are less likely to break and do not cause wear on surrounding teeth. Additionally, less tooth grinding is necessary to fit the crown.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM): Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns are a mix of metal and porcelain crowns. Metal forms the cap that fits directly over the tooth, while porcelain is used to create a white, natural-looking surface. This type allows for an exact fit and combines the attractiveness of porcelain crowns with the durability of metal.
- Zirconia: Zirconia crowns are strong and resistant to chips and cracks. They look extremely natural next to other teeth and are highly translucent.
Consult with your dentist in Encino, CA to find out if dental crowns are best for you.